EL SUEÑO MEXICANO
El Sueno Mexicano (Mexican Dream) is a unique binational initiative which sicks to assist Ecotourism and small businesses based in indigenous communities in México, to reach their maximum potential by developing and improving their production process, marketing and administrative strategies; through a four week long, non-cost, professional internship.
This initiative was implemented by the U.S.-Mexico Foundation (USMF) with sponsorship from the Instituto de los Mexicanos en el Exterior (IME), in collaboration with the Comisión para el Desarrollo de los Pueblos Indígenas (CDI).
- To provide Mexican American college students with the opportunity to do service learning summer internships in Mexico as a way to reconnect them with their country of origin to support the development of small business owners in Indigenous communities in Mexico.
- To provide an opportunity for Mexicans and Americans to come together and learn from each other while collaborating in concrete projects to benefit indigenous communities.
- Visit to Mexico City
- Meet with Mexican government officials
- Four weeks of work in one of 6 indigenous communities selected by the CDI
- 25 Mexican American college students from across the US
- Hotels and small business owners in indigenous communities in the states of Chiapas, Oaxaca, Puebla, Campeche, Yucatan, and Quintana Roo.
"This program has helped me to reconnect with my roots and value the work and great value that indigenous communities have in Mexico. We must work together to support them and raise the relevance of their traditions. "
"This program has driven me to give back a little to my country. I think it is very important to take responsibility and support the people from where our parents were born. Although we live in the US, we are Mexicans too. Today I am more proud than ever to be Mexican. "
For more information please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org