Program: Program scholarships known as “Por los que se quedan” ["For those who stay behind"]
- Grantee Location: Mexico City
- Focus Area: Education
- Geographic Focus: National
- Amount: $ 5,000 USD
- Grant Period: September 2012-August 2013
- Grant status: In progress
- Partners: Secretaría de Educación Pública, BBVA Bancomer, Bécalos.
Statement of Purpose
The “For those who Stay” is a scholarship program designed to provide the children of emigrated parents $1,000 pesos during 10 months (school year cycle) during the 3 years of middle school (secundaria). It consists of an economic grant and stipend that allows the student and family to ensure continuity of their middle school studies.
Scholarship recipients need to comply with certain requirements:
- Have shown good performance in the last 3 years of elementary school (8.5/10 points average)
- To be pre-enrolled in local middle schools where the program is implemented
- Being under the age of 15 years old when applying for support
- Preferably, being a son/daughter of a migrant or having migrant close relatives
This grant directly funds stipends for more students than the ones Fundación BBVA Bancomer is currently able to sustain: The goal is to reach a historic number of 100,000 beneficiaries; so far, Fundación BBVA Bancomer has been able to provide stipends and mentoring for 15,600 students that have graduated from middle school. Currently, Fundación BBVA Bancomer has 15,800 beneficiaries in the program.
Program Expected Outcomes
That all the beneficiaries finish middle school with a GPA of 8.5 or higher and with goals to continue their studies and professional development. To generate a critical mass of educated Mexicans who were not denied the opportunity to attend school because of their family circumstances.